8.04.2008

ROXANNE

The last dog to roam the Henderson residence was a plump beagle, Darla. A few years ago she started getting old and sick and my parents were firm on never having another dog. By the time the puppy reached only but a few years of age all of their children would have moved out of the house, leaving them with an energetic, expensive, and time consuming responsibility. I never once considered debating the fact that there wouldn't be another pet in our home. Part of this was because I've never been crazy about animals and the other part being my parent's stern objection to the idea. A dog was simply not an option.

Last week we found out that Alan had been planning on having a friend pick up a dog for him while we were out of town, and then surprising my parents with it. I'm not sure how he visualized that playing out, but it was the worst idea ever. When my mom figured out what his little scheme was she informed him that any dog appearing at our house unexpected would be sent to the pound. He quickly stepped down, temporarily defeated but certainly not ready to give up. From that moment on it was all he was willing to talk about. Dog, dog, dog. I knew that he was building false hopes because my parents would never cave to the idea of getting a dog. I knew wrong. It only took a few days for him to have them both not only willing, but excited about getting a dog.

Sure enough, we got home from our trip on Sunday evening, and by Monday afternoon we had a 9 week old black lab. She really is a darling puppy, but I simply can't believe he was able to pull that off. I wanted to name her Tuesday, but I was out-voted and she is Roxy.

7 comments :

Jana said...

I love her I love her.

Trisha said...

Oh she is so cute, she probably will be not so much a puppy when we come out in November!!

Hayley said...

She IS darling. I hope she doesn't like bras, though.

Marianne Henderson said...

All right we caved. We saw this really cute puppy at Lake Powell and I think that started to soften us up a little bit. We are all working really hard on training her and she is really smart. So far so good. Never say never. . . .

Ashley said...

How cute is she!!!!!!!!!

Nick Wheeler said...

I think Tuesday should have been the name as well. See you soon.

Trisha said...

Okay so I keep checking to see pictures of your weekend with Rauland in town.